How to create an unforgettable unboxing experience in 2022
2022 is a great time to be in the ecommerce business. Ecommerce revenue globally is predicted to reach $5.4 trillion in 2022, and there’s no signs of this sales growth slowing either. However, with this opportunity also comes increased competition. There are many brands operating in the online space, and the key to standing out is differentiating yourself through custom packaging.
Packaging is the first physical touchpoint your customers have with your brand in the real world.
Building an unforgettable unboxing experience is a really effective way to increase customer retention and achieve consistent sales. 52% of shoppers are likely to make repeat purchases if they get premium packaging from an online retailer, so it’s worth creating an experience around your products so customers spend again.
Here’s how to do it.
Signal your brand values by using sustainable materials
- A key part of the unboxing experience is showing your customer who you are as a business
- Communicating the circular packaging material your mailer bag is made out of demonstrates your brand’s values and the choice you’ve made to use eco-friendly materials that don’t impact on the environment as much as the likes of virgin plastic. This makes a great first impression.
- Having this displayed on the outside of the bag also ensures your customers know its correct end-of-life disposal.
Eco-clothing brand Coalatree created noissue custom, compostable mailers with the text ‘Don’t worry, I’m compostable.’
End of June Vintage uses recycled stock mailer bags as a form of thoughtful packaging to let customers know how to properly dispose of the mailer once they’ve received their order.
- Your ecommerce packaging is your first opportunity for your brand to become a tactile experience, as customers can see, touch and feel your brand identity.
- Using your unboxing experience to showcase your logo, name brand colours will leave a far deeper impression on your customer and help with brand recall and reordering your products
- Choose a clear colour palette like your brand colours, use typography to create a bold message like a call to action and don’t make the design too busy, as it can distract from the message at hand
- Packaging isn’t the end of your customer’s journey with your brand – it can be just the beginning.
- Customising your packaging with a call to action or call out to your brand’s social media channels encourages them to take action and join your online community
- You can also display a QR code to link through a specific landing page, or turn your packaging into an educational marketing tool through the information you include on it
- This builds a relationship beyond the sales transaction by sending the customer to a digital channel where they can learn more about your brand and products
- Branded packaging is a great way to get people sharing pictures of your products online, but there are also clever ways to guarantee social sharing through the design of your packaging
- Include a call to action on your packaging that instructs your customers on how to get a great photo, then tells them a personalized hashtag they can use that’s regularly monitored by your brand
- This means you can collect user generated content (UGC) and share it on your own channels, which is a win-win!
Layer your packaging design to showcase your brand identity
Delhicious uses a repeating pattern on each of the packaging layers in their unboxing experience, including a custom box, stickers, tape and tissue paper, to showcase their brand identity and build brand recognition.
Include interactive features, so your customer engages with your brand beyond opening your packaging
Maggie Marilyn created a custom tissue paper newspaper that was sent out with ecommerce orders featuring care practices for their clothes, tips and tricks for sustainable living and more
Hay Design Co displays their social media channels on the exterior of their custom box to encourage customers to join their online community
Use intentional design to encourage social sharing of the unboxing experience
Pet goods brand Holly and Co has a call-to-action sticker on the interior of a stock box that encourages customers to take a picture or video of their pet in their new accessories, and then tag the brand’s Instagram and use its hashtag.
We hope this article has helped you get inspired about crafting your brand’s unboxing experience!
Building a branded unboxing experience is one of the most effective ways to elevate the customer experience and ensure the customers who’ve already purchased from you are repeating their orders.
Ready to create a standout unboxing experience? noissue lets you design your own branded sustainable tissue paper, boxes, mailers and more. Simply upload your design, logo, or illustration, and we’ll do the rest!